Around January 1948 Deane Toseland, an already established high profile Australian champion opened up his own cycle business, located at 163 O’Connell Street, North Adelaide it became well known as the cyclists shop and was well received with business in the Adelaide CBD.
The shop was also an agent for Super Elliott with whom he had previously raced and been sponsored for and also Rudge and Whitworth cycles were available for purchase.
Toseland loved cycling and although he had been contemplating retirement during this period, his time was spent in the shop when he wasn’t in competition state.
The shop also carried a line of other sporting goods including fishing apparel.
In November 1951 Toseland moved to new premises of 46 O’Connell Street, North Adelaide.
Business continued as usual and Toseland offered his services to all cyclists, whether it was for frame repairs, wheel building or renovations, his expertise was the finest available.
As a pure cyclists shop, Toseland was always giving advice to the young and old on all aspects of cycling, he was especially active gathering a crowd on Sunday mornings and tackling a 60-mile run on the flats from Salisbury to Gawler way.
Toseland was perfecting and marketing his own branded model of cycle which included the range of standard and professional bikes.
Early in his years of being a mechanic, his knowledge was put into building high end racing bikes referred to as the “Special”, these consisted of a brazed T on the head tube; many of which were custom built to the requirements of the rider. Featuring the lightest tubing and fancy lugsets, including the Nervex lugset which was of professional quality and sought by riders wanting the best money could buy.
It is believed that approximately 700 specials were built, available in either road or track models. The road models incorporated at the time the expensive Campagnolo dropouts and fork tips if requested.
Deane Toseland Special script was enamelled on the down tube with early Toseland examples featuring detailed scroll work with script letter T on the seat-tube, fine brazings throughout and later models incorporating fancy clover shaped lug cut-outs on each three main tubes with swirls cut-aways.
The brazed T carried slight variations over the years however still retaining that medieval gothic look.
Toseland bikes built by ‘Flip’ Garner and Bernie Hale and painted by Les Hall.
The Toseland Roadmaster model was the top of the line.
The Toseland shop remained in business for 27 years.
As a specialist wheel builder Toseland continued with this after his shop closed for private work well into his later years.
The name Toseland is renowned with Australian cycling, the finely built details and name behind the frame has established itself as one of the finest ever made frames in Australia of yesteryear.