Historic Adelaide

Historic Adelaide

[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b1467_1.jpg]12210Pirie Street, Adelaide
Pirie Street, Adelaide, south side, looking east across Gawler Place. Elliott's Bicycle store is in the centre, and further to the left Eyes and Crowell garage can be seen. The People's Palace is a little further down Pirie Street, c1922<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B1467
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b410_0.jpg]5520Charles Street, Adelaide
Charles Street, Adelaide, east side (off Rundle Street) Prior to demolition of small shops on this side of Jean's. Jean's stands on the southern corner of Charles Place. The near side of the little shed in the left foreground is 25 yards north of Charles Place, c1920<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B410
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b4174.jpg]5360Gilbert Street, Adelaide
Transport of the past and the future is represented in front of the new premises of Motors Limited, dealers in Rolls Royce, Hudson and Essex cars. Parked at the kerbsides are a horse and cart, a bicycle and a shiny Rolls Royce (registered to Mrs. K. Tennant of Glenelg in July 1925, registration number 47172). [On back of photograph] 'Acre 609 / Gilbert Street, north side / May 26, 1927 / The near portion of Motors Ltd. (taking in six windows) was erected in 1926 on a vacant allotment. / Site of new portion: Near side is 31 yards east of Norman Street . Frontage is 35 yards, c1927<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B4174
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b10466_2.jpg]4970Gawler Place, Adelaide
Gawler Place, Adelaide, c1923<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B10466
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b5801.jpg]3820Sturt Street, Adelaide
Sturt Street, north side, June 27th 1930, near side is 31 yards east of Norman Street and frontage is 69.5 yards, c1930<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B5801
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_13_6_3.jpg]4090Street scene at Norwood, Adelaide
An electric tram and shoppers in The Parade, the main street of Norwood, a suburb of Adelaide, c1914<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_13_6
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3162_1.jpg]3650Pirie Street, Adelaide c1909
The north side of Pirie Street between Coromandel Place and Chesser Street showing the frontage of the Onslow Buildings. Some of the business' in this building include A.J. Baker Picture Framers, Poloware and Sports Depot, Pawnbrokers, Raleigh Depot, C.W. Rose Importers and Kruss the Printer. A penny farthing bicycle is leaning against a telegraph pole outside the Onslow Buildings. A lady wearing an elaborate hat is looking at paintings in the A.J. Baker Shop. [On back of photograph] Acres 167 and 166. Pirie Street, north side. 1909-10* *Probably 1909. See B 7787/24. In the foreground is Coromandel Place. Frontage of Onslow Buildings - 29 yards. The little balconies on Onslow Buildings were removed between 1910 and 1912, c1909<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B3162
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_41_103.jpg]3420Crowds watching the finish of a bicycle race
Crowds waiting behind barriers along a road near Adelaide for the finish of a bicycle race, c1923<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_41_103
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_11_25_0.jpg]3320Ice cream stalls and carts on the sands at Henley Beach, Adelaide
Ice cream stalls and horse drawn ice cream carts in a group by the sea at Henley Beach in South Australia; a horse can be seen feeding out of a nose bag and a male cyclist rides his bicycle in the foreground, c1919<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_11_25
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_29_237.jpg]3390Football crowds in North Terrace, Adelaide
Crowds of football supporters making their way from Adelaide Oval to the city along King William Road by foot, car, tram, bicycle, motorcycle, and horse drawn vehicle; they are photographed passing the entrance to Government House as the leaders approach the intersection with North Terrace, c1921<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_29_237
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3254.jpg]3090Luxmoore & Chapman building, North Terrace, Adelaide
Premises of Luxmoore & Chapman on North Terrace West. The signage advertises Luxmoore and Chapman are wool brokers, and deal in skin, hide and tallow. Number 62 North Terrace is next door. Two men are sitting on the steps of Luxmoore and Chapman and a bicycle is parked outside. [On back of photograph] Acre 10. North Terrace West 1909-1914.Probably 1909. See B 7787/3. Right side of Luxmoore's premises is 100 yards east of Morphett Street. Frontage of Luxmoore's: 21 yards, c1909<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B3254
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b69487.jpg]3310Rundle Street facing east, Adelaide
View of Rundle Street facing east, with shoppers, cars, a man on a bicycle and flags draped outside shop windows, c1924<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B69487
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b1221.jpg]3280Rundle Street, Adelaide
Rundle Street, Adelaide, south side, on 27th February 1923. Birks' stands on the west corner of Gawler Place. The far side of the four storey building on right is 42 1/2 yards west of Gawler Place. Allans' building increased from two to five stories in 1925. See B3266 & B3602. G.J. Young's premises were enlarged in 1926, c1923<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B1221
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2219.jpg]2960King William Street, Adelaide
King William Street, Adelaide, looking south from Hindley Street, on a wet day. The busy street shows a mix of tram, car and horse drawn transport. On the left is the Waterhouse building with Duhst and Biven, Tobacconists, on its ground floor. On the right is Archer and Holland, Jewellers. In the centre is Noonan's Southern Cross Hotel. The Town Hall and Post Office Towers are seen in the distance, c1919<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B1221
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2221.jpg]2730Rundle Street, Adelaide
On a busy day in Rundle Street people stroll along the pavement and across the road amongst the slow moving traffic, both motor and horse-drawn. City buildings and shops are seen on either side othe street. Shown on the North side of the street are The C.J. Young Shoe Co., Barlow's Shoes, a chemist, Stevenson's Jewellers clock and Marshall's Dept Store. Shown on the South side are Thelma-Duryea Photographic Studio, Bricknell's Cafe, the Grand Theatre, Sigalas & Co., Cawthorne's Piano & Music Warehouse, Kindermann's Cafe (est.1851), Charlick Bros Grocers & Teamen, and De-Lany's Red Lion Hotel, c1918<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B1221
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2637.jpg]2250Grenfell Street, Adelaide
North corner of Grenfell Street and King William Street, Adelaide. Crowded horse tram number 61, of the Adelaide and Suburban Tramway Company, is passing the Imperial Hotel. People are standing at the kerbside with an expectant air; something [a parade?] is about to happen. A.W. Sandford and Company's sign is seen next door to the hotel. The right side of the right-of-way is 31 yards east of King William Street, c1900<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B2637
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2638.jpg]2240Grenfell Street, Adelaide
Grenfell Street looking East. On the left is James Place. The dome in the far distance marks the entrance to the Adelaide Arcade, c1896<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B2638
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2951.jpg]2090Gawler Place, Adelaide
Gawler Place, Adelaide, east side, on the 22nd September, 1925, showing Vivian Lewis Limited Motor House. Early model cars are parked outside. The spire of St Andrew's Presbyterian Church can be seen in the centre. For a photo of this building (and the building erected in 1926 on the far side of Lewis' in 1952), see B 12361. The near side of Lewis' premises is 35 yards south of Flinders Street, and its frontage is 47 yards, c1925<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B951
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3216.jpg]2110King William Street
King William Street, c1925<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B3216
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3255.jpg]1920Gouger Street, Adelaide
Supreme Court Hotel on the corner of Gouger Street and Mill Street. J. Mansom is the proprietor. The verandah has a striped roof and covers the footpath. A small balcony juts out from a doorway on the first storey. Next door to the Hotel is T.G. Williams Motor and Cycle Works, c1899<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B3255
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3526.jpg]1780King William Street, Adelaide
King William Street and its tramtracks is in the foreground of this view of people walking, cycling, and riding in cars and a horse and buggy. Car No. 8980 was a B.S.A., owner H.G. Rogers of King William Road, Hyde Park. On the left is South Terrace and part of the parklands. Note the horse trough under the tree. [On back of photograph] 'King William Street looking north from South Terrace / Nov. 1918. / People walking home during the strike of tram employees, c1918<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B3526
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b3948.jpg]1790Gawler Place, Adelaide
Gawler Place, west side, 29 April 1928, near side of building is 50.5 yards north of Flinders Street and frontage is 20.5 yards, c1928
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b5187.jpg]1550Pirie Street
Pirie Street, c1928<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B5187
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b5821.jpg]1860Rundle Street, Adelaide
Rundle Street looking west. 27 May 1911. Extreme left is 15 yards east of Francis Street. Right is about 30 yards west of Linde's Lane, c1911<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B5821
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_4_15.jpg]1680Currie Street, Adelaide
Currie Street, c1913<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_4_15
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_prg280_1_29_237_0.jpg]1760Football crowds in Adelaide
Crowds of football supporters making their way from Adelaide Oval to the city along King William Road by foot, car, tram, bicycle, motorcycle, and horse drawn vehicle; they are photographed passing the entrance to Government House as the leaders approach the intersection with North Terrace, c1921<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , PRG 280_1_29_237
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_brg347_6760a.jpg]80Herbert Small cycles
Photograph of the interior of the the Herbert Small Cycles Shop, c1947<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , BRG 347_6760a
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b75053.jpg]60Rundle Street, Adelaide
View looking west along Rundle Street, from approximately the intersection with Gawler Place. On the left the premises of Bullock's Cycle Store and Griffiths Bros, c1908<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B75053
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b2818.jpg]80Vivian Lewis Limited Car dealership
Waymouth Street, Adelaide, north side, c1925<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B2818
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b7396.jpg]80Part of Elliot's Cycles in Gawler Place
The National Bank of Australasia Limited Building taken from further along Gawler Place with propped bicycle in the foreground. Part of Elliot's Cycles can be seen on the right, c1938<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B7396
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b38788.jpg]60Lewis Cycle Works
Lewis Cycle Works, Gawler Place, c1903<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B38788
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b14223.jpg]80Healing Building
Flinders Street, north side, 26 February 1959<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B14223
[img src=http://aussievelos.net/wp-content/flagallery/historic-adelaide/thumbs/thumbs_b14199.jpg]60Malvern Star store
Malvern Star store located in Hindley Street, Adelaide, c1958<br />Courtesy of State Library of S.A , B14199

i – Description SL- Slideshow FS – Full screen

Images in galleries are copyrighted
Special thanks to the Arthur Family Photographic Collection
State Library of South Australia.

4263 Total Views 1 Views Today